Prague Minos Guide

Web encyclopedia of GPS Digital Guide available in mobile devices around Prague for hire or for download during your visit.

CS | EN | FR | DE
  • POI: 858
  • Reálie: 400
  • Trasy: 8
  • Související vazby: 4194
  • Fotografie: 2528
  • Počet stran textu: 348
pro média/press

Church of St. Jiljí

A symbiosis of Gothic and Baroque exterior
Significant photo
Info text

In the beginning of the 14th century, in place of an older church, Prague Bishop Jan the Fourth of Dražice had a triple-nave hall church built with two western towers. In its times, the church of St.Jiljí was one of the most monumental sacral place of the Old Town. In 1625, Emperor Ferdinand the Second donated the church to the Order of Dominican Friars, who built a monastery in its vicinity which

became a centre of philosophical and theological studies. Since the beginning of the 18th century, different modifications were done to the interior. The church ceiling is dominated by a fresco by Václav Vavřinec Reiner depicting the Victory of Dominican Friars over Heresy. Václav Vavřinec Reiner, one of the most important Baroque painters in Bohemia, is buried in the walls of the church.

GPS: 50° 5′ 6.18″ N, 14° 25′ 6.16″ E

Kontaktní informace

Ulice Husova Město Praha 1


Certifikovaný partner
Running project in Prague
Android Android Objednat průvodce
© 2009 - all contents