Prague Minos Guide

Web encyclopedia of GPS Digital Guide available in mobile devices around Prague for hire or for download during your visit.

CS | EN | FR | DE
  • POI: 858
  • Reálie: 400
  • Trasy: 8
  • Související vazby: 4194
  • Fotografie: 2528
  • Počet stran textu: 348
pro média/press

Church of St. Joseph

Baroque church of Barefoot Carmelite Nuns
Significant photo
Info text

The church of St. Joseph was built between 1687 and 1693 for the Order of the Barefoot Carmelite Nuns next to the Order of seclusions. The project is a central building with a dome and a monumental facade in the Dutch style. It was probably built by Roman architect Abraham Paris based on the draft of Johann Bernard Fischer of Erlach. The facade of the church is oriented towards the Josefovská

Street and it is decorated by the statues of St. Teresa and John of the Cross, which were most likely the work of Matouš Václav Jäckel. Above the entrance is located a relief of the Habsburg Eagle with the letter "L", which reminds us of Emperor Leopold under whose reign the church was built. The painting of the "Saint Family" at the main altar is the work of Baroque master Petr Brandl.

GPS: 50° 5′ 17.74″ N, 14° 24′ 21.7″ E

Kontaktní informace

Ulice Josefská Město Praha 1


Certifikovaný partner
Running project in Prague
Android Android Objednat průvodce
© 2009 - all contents