Prague Minos Guide

Web encyclopedia of GPS Digital Guide available in mobile devices around Prague for hire or for download during your visit.

CS | EN | FR | DE

St. George Monastery

Exhibition of 19th century Czech art
Significant photo
Info text

In 921, Prince Vratislav the First founded a church in the eastern part of the Prague Castle. Between 974 and 976, Prince Boleslav the Second sister completed a diplomatic mission to Rome, and came back with the pope´s consent to establish the Bishopric and the first female Benedictine monastery in Bohemia, which she later administered as abbess. In 1142, the convent burned down for the first time. The convent lived its heyday in the time of the last Přemyslides. Then it was again heavily damaged in the great fire of the Prague Castle in 1541.

After the repairs, it served as castle armoury, and a new east wing was built for the Benedictine Nuns. As often happened, in the first half of the 17th century, the facade of the basilica was given the baroque treatment following Francesco Caratti´s plan. In 1782, the cloister was abolished and artillery barracks were established there instead. In 1826, an Institute for Spiritual Remedy was established here.
At present, the collection of the 19th century art of the National Gallery in Prague is located in the building of the cloister.

GPS: 50° 5′ 28.85″ N, 14° 24′ 7.9″ E

Kontaktní informace

Ulice U svatého Jiří 33 Město Praha 1


Certifikovaný partner
Running project in Prague
Android Android Objednat průvodce
© 2009 - all contents