Prague Minos Guide

Web encyclopedia of GPS Digital Guide available in mobile devices around Prague for hire or for download during your visit.

CS | EN | FR | DE

Monastery at Slovany – Emauzy

The first monastery with Slavic liturgy
Significant photo
Info text

The Monastery was founded by Emperor Charles the Fourth in 1347, when Pope Clement the Fourth complied with his request to establish a monastery with Slavic liturgy. The emperor called the monks of the Eastern ordinance into Prague. They were originally from Dalmatia and Croatia, and used an Old Church Slavonic as liturgical language. Thanks to this initiative, Charles the Fourth intended to contribute to the elimination of dissension between the East and Occidental Church. The monastery became a center of education and arts, and the first full translation of the Vulgate was done here – a translation from the official Latin text of the Bible into the Czech language.
The monastery as well as a new church were completed in 1372 and it is rightly considered a pearl of Gothic

architecture. However, the cost of building the monastery escalated to the same amount as to that of the Charles Bridge. It seems that the workshop of Petr Parléř significantly participated during the construction. Equally important are the preserved Gothic wall paintings.
After the Battle of White Mountain in 1620, Emperor Ferdinand the Third invited the Spanish Benedictines, under whose operation the monastery and the church were transformed thoroughly into the Baroque style. The high gabled roof of the church was removed and two onion-shaped front towers were built. At the end of World War II, the church was seriously damaged during U.S. air strike in February 1945. In 1967, a modern shell structure made from white concrete was built replacing the destroyed towers.

GPS: 50° 4′ 20.74″ N, 14° 25′ 2.15″ E

Kontaktní informace

Ulice Na Slovanech Město Praha 2


Certifikovaný partner
Running project in Prague
Android Android Objednat průvodce
© 2009 - all contents