Prague Minos Guide

Web encyclopedia of GPS Digital Guide available in mobile devices around Prague for hire or for download during your visit.

CS | EN | FR | DE

Klaus Synagogue

A synagogue where according to the tradition Rabbi Loew taught
Significant photo
Info text

The Klaus Synagogue owes its existence to the continuous expansion of the Old Jewish Cemetery. New land was bought in 1598 by the Jewish Town provost Mordechai Maisel. A house for the "Assembly of Wise Men" was built. The building consisted of three parts called "klausas", from which its name comes from. According to the tradition, Jehuda Lewa ben Bezalel (Rabbi Loew) taught in the first part, a chapel was in the second

one, and a ritual bath – Mikvah in the third one. After the 1689 fire, thanks to provost Šalamoun Chališ, a synagogue was established and known as New Klaus School. The new building was built in early Baroque style as a single-nave hall space. In its days, it was the largest synagogue of the ghetto and the second major synagogue in the Prague Jewish Town. The latest modifications were done in the late 19th century.

GPS: 50° 5′ 23.57″ N, 14° 25′ 2.56″ E

Kontaktní informace

Ulice U Starého hřbitova 3 Město Praha 1


Certifikovaný partner
Running project in Prague
Android Android Objednat průvodce
© 2009 - all contents