Prague Minos Guide

Web encyclopedia of GPS Digital Guide available in mobile devices around Prague for hire or for download during your visit.

CS | EN | FR | DE

Střelecký Island

An island near the Legion Bridge
Info text

Access to the Střelecký Island is through the Legion Bridge. Currently the island covers about 2.5 hectares. It was made through the accumulation of sand and sediments brought by the river Vltava over the course of time. During Emperor Charles the Fourth´s reign, Prague longbow and crossbow shooters already had the privilege of training here. From the 15th century, the island held competitions in shooting called "Ku Ptáku" (To the Bird) – a dummy of the bird on a high rod is shot at and its head must be cut off. Later on, in the 19th century, the island was used not only for the shooters,

but also for folk festivals, celebrations and carnivals. The Empire style building of the restaurant was built in 1812, and it used to be a place for concert performances, dancing balls and other festival events. In 1882, the island held the 1st Conference of the Sokol Association, and in 1890, the island held the celebrations of the first Labor Day Festival in Bohemia (1st of May). Under the governance of the German Reich Bohemia and Moravia Protectorate, the island was used by the Prague Unit of the Hitler Youth.
Today, the island has an open-air movie theatre during the summer season.

GPS: 50° 4′ 54.59″ N, 14° 24′ 36.24″ E

Kontaktní informace

Ulice Střelecký ostrov Město Praha 1


Certifikovaný partner
Running project in Prague
Android Android Objednat průvodce
© 2009 - all contents